Confined spaces increase dangers when working with fuel

In August 2019, a worker suffered burns when fuel vapour ignited causing an explosion. The worker was refuelling a boat, when for reasons yet to be established, fuel vapour ignited causing an explosion.

Unleaded petrol gives off vapours which can ignite if not properly managed. Transferring fuel often creates static electricity which can ignite flammable vapours.

The risk of vapours igniting increases when working in a confined area. This often occurs without warning. A person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) must, if there is a possibility of fire or explosion in a hazardous area, ensure the ignition source is not introduced.

Read more about how to prevent similar incidents at the Queensland Work Health and Safety webpage.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *